4 Signs Your Need A Wiring Upgrade For Your Houma Home
The wiring behind your walls isn’t something most homeowners stop to consider very often, but in reality, your wiring is easily one of the most important elements of your home’s electrical system. Your electrical wiring is designed with safety in mind, but over time, damage and natural deterioration can cause your home’s wiring to work less and less efficiently, and as this happens, your wiring will inevitably become more and more dangerous as time goes on. While most homeowners are aware that faulty or old wiring can be a serious hazard to their home, they often aren’t sure about when they need to have their wiring updated since your wiring is out of sight at nearly all times. To help in that effort, our team of skilled Houma electricians have taken the time to put together this short list that helps to highlight just a few of the most common signs that indicate your home is ready for a wiring upgrade.
Frayed Or Bent Wiring
While it might seem obvious that frayed, bent, or otherwise damaged wiring should be replaced, there are many homeowners out there that just tend to look the other direction for one reason or another. Over time, the natural aging process, as well as natural corrosion can cause your wiring to become frayed or bent, and when you notice this, it is important to ensure you have a skilled electricians come out immediately and upgrade it.
Presence Of Heat Damage Or Burn Marks
When you touch an outlet or switch anywhere throughout your home, that outlet facing should feel cool to the touch, if not the same temperature as the rest of the room. If you notice that your outlet faces feel a bit hot to the touch, or you notice the presence of dark smudging or scorching around the plate itself, this is a very urgent indicator that your wiring is unsafe and in need of an upgrade. If you notice this issue anywhere around your home, it is important to call in a professional electrician immediately, as this can be a major fire hazard.
You Constantly Have To Reset Your Breakers
If you notice that your circuit breakers are frequently tripping or constantly needing to be reset, it is a sign that they are being continually overloaded, and one common cause for this is outdated wiring. Outdated wiring can put a lot of extra strain on your circuit breakers, and can even lead to electrical fires and a number of other serious issues if the problem isn’t resolved quickly.
Tingling Or Shocking From Your Appliances
If you notice that you tend to receive a shock, or at least a bit of mild tingling anytime you go to touch your appliances, it could be one of the more common signs of outdated electrical wiring. If you notice this issue happening in your home, the best thing to do is to call in a professional electrician to get to the bottom of the issue as quickly as possible.